Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Development Studies (PGDM-DS)
The PGDM-DS Programme
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Development Studies is designed as a broad and multi-disciplinary programme to equip students with knowledge, analytical and conceptual skills of social and economic development. It prepares students with ability to provide entrepreneurial solutions to social problems, livelihoods for rural and urban poor, corporate social responsibility initiatives and creating social enterprises.
Curriculum and Career path
EDI applies innovative training techniques, competent faculty support, consultancy and quality teaching and training materials to create specialists in fields of development research, micro finance, micro enterprise development, rural & urban livelihoods, fund raising, gender studies, corporate social responsibility and social entrepreneurship. EDI offers academic opportunities that are intellectually rigorous and extraordinarily diverse.
These inputs equip students to gain rewarding careers in action with Non profit community based organisations, state, national and international organisations; Grant making organisations, CSR wings of Industrial and Corporate houses; UN Organisations engaged in rural and urban development; Own social enterprise with an aim to identify innovative solutions to social problems.
EDIs 100% placement record connects each student to a meaningful and challenging career opportunity. There is huge demand for exceptionally and intensively trained professionals graduating from the PGDM-DS programme. Our alumni are placed in national and international organisations that include UN organizations, World Bank, AKRSP, FWWB, NRLM, SEWA, CII, Azim Premji Foundation, Aga khan Rural Support Programme, Selco, Utthan, Chetna, IDBI Ltd, HDFC Bank, Unnati, GLPC, State mission units of NRLM, etc. Campus recruitments held each year receives overwhelming response from some of the top recruiters in Development sector.
Eligibility to Join PGDM-DS
Graduates with 50% marks and valid CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT/ATMA scores are eligible to be part of this course. Graduates with work experience are welcome to apply who satisfy the above condition.
- building a cadre of new generation development professionals with required knowledge, competence, orientation and values
- transferring the expertise and rich experience of EDI for the promotion of solutions in the areas of Microenterprise, Micro finance, Livelihood promotion, Women entrepreneurship, Group entrepreneurship, Social Enterprises and Corporate Social Responsibility
- offering rewarding careers in action around
- Overall economic development with inclusive growth
- Sustainable and environment friendly solutions
- Use of technology for development
Change Process at EDI
The end-product, PGDM-DS graduate, will come out as a development professional with entrepreneurial drive, management training, capacity to work across sectors/thematic areas with compassion and confidence to convert ideas into action.
A learner centric pedagogy is built around experiential immersion, critical reflection, workshops, exposure to culture through literature, films and field visits supported by lectures, cases and first hand research experience & project development, taking a student through the following:
- knowledge of self
- knowledge of society
- knowledge of action and
- knowledge of managing action
Accreditations and Associations
PGDM-DS is an AICTE approved programme offered as a unique programme with its focus on management, entrepreneurship, development theory and development practice.
EDI is part of Livelihoods MANTHAN, a collaborative effort to envision the participation of management and higher educational institutions as an important part of the livelihoods ecosystem in the country. It is coordinated by Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (XIMB), and an effort of education institutions like EDII, IIM-U, TISS, MDI , XLRI and civil society organizations - Chaitanya and The Livelihood School. Livelihoods MANTHAN works towards curriculum design for certificate programmes; training of officials at the block, district and state level on managerial skills and livelihood promotion; and engaging with stakeholders to build a knowledge ecosystem on livelihoods. The consortium involves the following partners:
- Chaitanya, Pune
- Entrepreneurship Development Institute, Gandhinagar
- Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur
- Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
- The Livelihood School, Hyderabad
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- XLRI School of Management, Jamshedpur
- Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar
EDI is member of NARMS, Eight rural management schools across the country have come together to establish the National Association of Rural Management Schools (NARMS). The initiative will work to provide a thrust to development in rural management, which still lacks proper facilities and infrastructure. The eight schools under this association are Institute of Rural Management (IRM), Anand; KIIT School of Rural Management, Bhubaneshwar; XIMB; Gandhigram Rural University, Gujarat; Xavier Institute of Development Action and Studies, Jabalpur; GB Pant Social Science Institute, Allahabad; Institute of Health Management and Research, Jaipur; and EDI, Gandhinagar. The association will work as a body that drives better rural management education and will also collaborate to offer joint programmes, host international conferences and workshops, provide scholarships and even advise and impact national policies in the area of rural management.The association will be headquartered at Institute of Rural Management, Anand, and Dr Jeemol Unni, director of IRM will be its chairperson. Dr Dinesh Awasthi, director of EDI will be the Treasurer.
Work with an organization of your choice or....
There is huge demand for exceptionally and intensively trained professionals graduating from the PGDM-DS programme. Career alternatives for PGDM-DS graduates include:
- Professionals with social development organisations – state level, national and international
- Practitioners in flagship programme of the Government
- Management professionals of CSR and Corporate Foundations
- Researchers and Domain Experts in leading development organizations
- Faculty with training and academic institutions
Our alumni network is across national and international organisations that include UN organizations, World Bank, AKRSP, FWWB, NRLM, SEWA, CII, Azim Premji Foundation, Aga khan Rural Support Programme, Selco, Utthan, Chetna, IDBI Ltd, HDFC Bank, Unnati, GLPC, State mission units of NRLM, etc.
"Ranked one of the top four B Schools for Entrepreneurship in India." Entrepreneur, July-2011.
"EDI connects each student to a meaningful and challenging career opportunity."Download Brochure
Social Enterprise Creation
....Seed a new Vision. We help you incubate it.
Every new idea needs hand holding as it takes its first flight. EDI goes beyond preparing you to start a social development enterprise. We facilitate and provide support for incubation and credit linkage for the ventures of our students.
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance'. Growing up in an educated family has been a great wealth, and I have come to realize the worth of learning and professionalism, even more after undergoing this course at EDI. Post EDI, the phase has been 'evolutionary' in my career. In fact, I got umpteen opportunities to work with leading NGOs/ multi-bilateral agencies. I have been actively involved with social development organizations for about nine years now. And these nine years that have helped me evolve as an individual and have shaped my career aspirations."
– Surbhi Dhingra, Vth Batch Student,currently working with the World Bank as a Social Development Specialist in New Delhi.
The minimum requirement for admission to the Programme is a three-year Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in any discipline with at least 50% marks in aggregate, from a recognised university/deemed university. Offers of admission to such candidates, if made, will be provisional and will be automatically cancelled in the event of their failing to complete all the requirements for obtaining the degree before August 15th.
The admission process consists of taking any of these tests:
CAT- Conducted by IIMs
MAT- Conducted by AIMA
XAT- Conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur
ATMA- Conducted by AIMS
CMAT- Conducted by AICTE
Eligible Candidates with valid scores in above mentioned tests will be called for EDI Group Discussion (G D) and Personal Interview (PI).
EDII Application Form
Candidates have to apply to EDII by acquiring application form which can be downloaded from www.ediindia.org / www.ediindia.ac.in or can be filled online. The duly filled in downloaded form should be sent to EDII along with a Demand Draft of Rs.1,500/- (Rs. 1,000/- for female candidates and candidates under reserved category) drawn in favour of 'Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India', payable at Ahmedabad.
Applicants who want to apply online can make payments online, or by transferring the above amount to the EDI PG admission account (details given below) or by purchasing the application form from authorized centre of EDII against a receipt.
|Name of Account||EDI PG Admission||EDI PG Admission|
|Name Of Bank||HDFC||IDBI Bank|
|Instalment||Due Date||Amount (Rs.)|
|Second||14 September 2018||1,26,600||1,01,600|
|Third||14 December 2018||1,29,600||1,09,600|
** Includes Rs. 10,000/- towards caution money deposit and Rs. 10,000/- towards security deposit for hostel and electricity charges
|Instalment||Due Date||Amount (Rs.)|
|Fourth||15 April 2019||1,34,500||1,09,500|
|Fifth||16 September 2019||1,24,700||99,700|
|Sixth||16 December 2019||1,27,000||1,07,000|
Fees for the two-year, full-time, residential course that includes cost of tuition, reading material, library and computer facilities, study visits, alumni association membership and students' activities is 3,02,550/- for the first year and 2,92,450/- for the second year (payable in 6 instalments over 2 years). It also includes caution money deposit of 10,000/-, which does not accrue any interest, and will be refunded on successful completion of the course. Hostel charges will be 55,000/- per year (AC on twin-sharing basis). Mess charges will be as per the rates decided by the Institute.
Fees would be payable as follows:
|Instalment||Due Date||Amount (Rs.)|
|Second||15 September 2017||1,25,600||1,40,600||98,100|
|Third||15 December 2017||1,05,750||1,05,750||1,05,750|
|Instalment||Due Date||Amount (Rs.)|
|Fourth||13 April 2018||1,30,300||1,45,300||1,02,800|
|Fifth||14 September 2018||1,27,000||1,42,000||99,500|
|Sixth||14 December 2018||1,04,150||1,04,150||1,04,150|
*Includes Rs. 10,000/- towards security deposit for hostel and electricity charges
- How Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Development Studies Programme is different from other Management programme?
- The development sector has undergone a sea change in past few decades. Today, non-profit organizations are not seen as only charitable organizations but people look up to them as partners in development. With the changing scenario, the responsibility on the part of development organizations has mounted and good governance and accountability on the part of development organizations has gained momentum. With infusion of various management tools for effective implementation of development programmes and better governance of such initiatives, management education in social development sector has become utmost important.
- To create a cadre of development professionals who can visualize, plan and effectively implement development programmes, EDI in conducting a two-year year full time programme approved by AICTE. Henceforth, PGDM-DS is a two year full time programme approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India, New Delhi. The programme is designed to prepare the students to understand the intricacies of development world and equip them with latest management tools being used in planning and designing of development programmes. The course at EDI is a judicious mix of both theories and management training which enhances capabilities and skills of young professionals to think and work entrepreneur ally in development sector.
- PGDM-DS targets students who want to become social entrepreneurs or want to join development organizations. The course also provides in-depth knowledge to the students who want to start development initiative on their own.
- EDI recognises that, given the complex environment in which development organisations work, there is far greater need for professional management in these organizations and currently the MSW course does not meet this requirement in full. EDI attempts to prepare young talented managers through a well-structured two-year Post-Graduate Programme in Development Studies to undertake challenging responsibilities in the institutions engaged in development work. EDI has been closely working with its client organisations to integrate their emerging needs into the programme by periodically revising the curriculum of post graduate in management studies.
- The PGDM – DS is an AICTE approved programme. EDI is an autonomous and not-for-profit Institute promoted by IDBI Bank Ltd., IFCI Ltd., ICICI Ltd. and SBI with active support from Government of Gujarat. It is governed by its own board. The brilliance and stature of its Governing Body speaks the standards of the PG programmes. The Chairman and Managing Director of IDBI Bank Ltd. presides over the EDI Governing Body in his ex-officio capacity. Chiefs or their nominees of other national financial organizations such as IFCI Ltd., ICICI Ltd. and SBI, Chiefs of NABARD & SIDBI, and the Governments represent the Governing Body. The PG Programmes have an Advisory Committee consisting of academia, industry and development sector.
- The teachers use lectures, group discussions, case studies, projects etc. to deliver the essential inputs on various developmental issues.
- A student performance is evaluated through classroom tests and quizzes, assignments, presentations, mid-term and end-term examinations.
- The programme spreads over six trimesters of 12-15 weeks each. The content of the programme is designed in such a way that students get exposure to various facets of development work. The courses taught in the programme give insights into practical aspects of development management.
- In PGDM-DS, students have to undergo summer internship for a period of 8 weeks after completion of the third trimester. Students are attached to reputed development organizations across the country to carry out different projects.
- For admission to PGDM - DS programme, aspirant has to appear for EDI Group Discussion(GD) and personal interview (P I).
- The personal interview focuses on commitment to the course and training as a source of learning, subject knowledge, communication skill etc.
- Performance in both these components will be aggregated for final selection for the programme.
- EDI provides placement assistance to PGDM-DS students and till date the placement record is 100 percent. Every year, a campus placement week is organized at the institute where leading NGOs, development agencies, companies and public sector organizations visit the campus and recruit our PGDM-DS students. Many organizations also make off-campus offers to the students.
- As per the latest information available, about 90 percent of the alumni are continuing in the development sector in various capacities in grassroots to national and international level organizations. Another 5 percent alumni are either pursuing higher studies and about 5 percent are in private sector.
- They have demonstrated commitment towards the course and the Institute. Any candidate to know more about the course and the Institute may approach them. References of alumni residing in the location of the aspirants may be obtained from the PGP Secretariat and furnished on demand.
- EDI’s alumni have formed an association and every year alumni meet “ENTREPLEXUS” takes place in month of December
- Modern computer labs with round the clock internet connectivity. The campus also has highly secured wi-fi connectivity.
- Library facility with 14,000 titles and 125 periodicals
- Separate hostel facilities for boys and girls
- Comfortable air conditioned classrooms with LCD
- Canteen facility where hygienic food is served
- Provision for reading space, sports and gymnasium
If you wish to know more about the course or join the course please write to email@example.com